Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sam Walton Smiles


Yes, if Sam Walton was watching, I'm pretty sure he smiled.

See it was after 10 last night when I stopped in at Mylittleburg WalMart to pick up new blades for my shaver. (Slick scalp, blunt blades.) Seventeen minutes later, I had my blades, and $20 of long overdue car-care and personal care necessities. I was tired, I just wanted to go home. I headed for the door, and she saw me coming from fifty feet away.

Big smile. Not just on her lips, but in her eyes. "Have a good night," the WalMart greeter lady enthused(?) bubbled(?) said.

"Thank you, you too," I mumbled(?) intoned(?) said.

"Why thank you, I will." I think she was for real.

This was not some canned
"hiwelcometoMcDonaldsmayItakeyourorderplease" script. She was enjoying what she was doing. And because of her I left feeling better. And Sam smiled.

Postscript:
I know WalMart hating is cool in some circles. But I also know I see hard-working people there making a living, so others can buy what they need. Is that all bad?

1 comment:

Julie said...

Glad you had a good experience! I, on the other hand was a little put out with the wallyworld here in NP. Rain...pouring down...there were carts in the store but they were drenched. An equally damp towel was available draped over a cart off to the side for customer use. But my question is..why was there a gentleman just standing there waaaay far away from the cold wet carts? He didn't even greet me. I wondered why he wasn't wiping off carts. Anyone know the job specs for a Walmart greeter?