Saturday, December 20, 2008

WE

"…back before WE learned WE had cancer."

So says my friend Jason in this post. We have cancer. Not my son, but we. How powerful is that?

This is not just an individual battle, this is a family fighting together. And from what I can see, it’s not just the immediate family of Mom, Dad and three sisters. It’s extended family too, aunts and uncles, grandmas and grandpas, all involved in bringing this brave soldier back to health.

Granted, this is not entirely a matter of choice for immediate family. I can only imagine how this turned family life upside down in so many ways. There must be times for the girls when it seems everything revolves around little brother. But if you’re in it as a family, if you really look at it as something we face, then you do everything you can for the family member who needs it.

We could use a lot more of that attitude. In our families. In our neighborhoods and our churches. In our nation and in our world. And I’m guessing it starts with me, getting my eyes off me, and onto we.

WE might just be the most powerful word on the planet.

1 comment: