Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Impedimenta Liberata


"I've also learned that paring down possessions means a lot more room in your life as well as in your house." Donna Freedman

Post-acquisitive, I like to call it. Having grown past the stage in my life of needing, wanting, to get more just to have more. Because there are many possessions that tend to turn the tables on you.

First you have the stuff. Then the stuff has you.

Like me and my house. Well, our house, I should say. Her house, really. When CSW fell in love with this property, it set us on a course of having more than we need, more than we can afford, and more than I want.

And we don't have it. It has me. All my money goes to pay for and maintain it. All my time goes to earn the money, or maintain the property. Mowing the grass, doing home fixup things isn't bad. I just don't like when it takes over my life. My summer outdoor activity is mowing, trimming, raking, etc. Not by choice. By coercion.

By stark contrast, I get a thrill out of eliminating the unnecessary in my life. Something I don't use, when I can give, sell, or throw it away, is as much fun as buying something new.

It makes room in my life, and in my house. Room in my life for what I want to be.

1 comment:

paul said...

This I can relate to. I'm trying to clean out/up, my office. It's small to begin with and the amount of stuff I have in here gets overwhelming. I like to throw away, but maybe even more, I like to organize. By the way, have you seen the recent Time magazine article about limiting your possessions to 100 things?