Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Butterfly's Gift


From the poet's dusty shelf...

Butterfly

I had a little butterfly I did
It flittered and it fluttered
In, around, about my head
Never rested never stopped
At my fingertips it danced
...Behind my eyes
...Inside my soul

Thought I caught it one fine day
Wrapped it up inside a box
Shiny paper, shiny ribbon
Gave it to my bestest friend
She unwrapped it, opened up
...It was plastic
...It was dead

Saw the butterfly the next day
Floating like the rainbow sun
Held my hand out let it flutter
Over under and around
Never grasping merely waiting
...Flash of color
...Blink-it’s gone

Now this butterfly it has me
Or I have it-either way
Though I see it no one else does
Only to my eyes it shows
All its colors, all my colors
...In my eyes
...Through my soul

No comments: