Saturday, April 19, 2008

2nd Grade Crush


"You'll be 50 this year, won't you?"

Smiling eyes from a pretty face danced in amusement at my surprise. She was off by a year (49), and I'm usually guessed low 40s.

"We were in the same class at Park Elementary." My jaw must have dropped. She's talking grade school, and tonight we're parents transforming the high school for our kids' prom.

I chuckled. "Yeah, I was there for (I counted on my fingers) four months." Maybe she thought I was someone else.

She laughed. "Yeah I remember you. You lived out by Northport." I knew her face from around town, I just had no idea of her name. "I'm Debbie Allison*. Well, used to be Milton.

Dang. Cute as she was, I could make no mental connection. And she was enjoying it. Knowing me, while I didn't know her.

Being remembered rocks. Maybe I should look up Ginger. Make her smile.

*Names may or may not have been changed to confuse the inquisitive.

No comments: