Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sorta True Barista Tale


A couple of sixty-somethings, a husband and wife, amble into the Village Square coffee bar. The gleam in their eye speaks of adventure.

"Good afternoon, folks. What can I get for you?" The teenage barista greets them politely. They're old folk. What fun could this be?

"Oh look dear," she grabs hubby's hand. "They have ice cream." The lady's laugh lines crinkle, in a pattern started decades ago.

"Would you like an ice cream, darling?" It's a romantic weekend, and he's a gentleman. If she wants ice cream, she gets ice cream.

"That would be lovely. Let's look at the flavors." They stand arm in arm studying the eight flavors in the ice cream case. For a minute you can see the two teens in a soda shop from another life.

After three minutes of careful consideration the charming couple is ready to order. The gentleman takes the lead. "We'll have a medium butter pecan ice cream, please," he smiles at the young man who is patiently waiting to scoop.

But the bored young man has one more question. "Did you want that in a bowl, or in a cone, sir?"

The gentleman pauses, looks at his wife, and repeats, "Do I want it in a bowl, or do I want it in a cone?"

She smiles, and replies sweetly. "Well that depends, dear. Do you want me to spoon it, or do you want me to lick it?"

"I want you to lick it." He turns to the suddenly smiling young man. "We'll take it in a cone, please."

Snicker firmly in check, the young man scoops. Into a cone.

The gentleman and his lady stroll off, with ice cream and smiles on their lips, and laughter in their wake.

3 comments:

Mikki Black said...

What a ...happy moment! Thanks for sharing, Mark.

(PS My confirmation word is "minties"!)

Naomi said...

Licking is the best way, of course. Always, always lick your ice cream cone.

Oh wait, my husband said this whole thing was 'sexual'. That would make me naive, right?

Julie said...

Hahahahaahaha @ Naomi! Love it!

Jeff and I are gonna be just like them when we're old!

It's okay to be spicy with your spouse right? Oh man....I HOPE so! If not I'm in biggie trouble!