Thursday, August 14, 2008

Jueves Gracias


Doggedly he turns his back on the circling horde bent on his destruction. He pulls from the inside of his ragged tunic a chunk of charcoal, and a roll of papyrus. He scratches earnestly:

I.
AM.
GRATEFUL.
For?

* More gloriously sunny days this summer than I can shake a stick at, whatever that means. I'll ask my Dad, next life.

* A pastor who realizes some of us might have given up on prayer. And he helps us understand...

* ...HIM. He wants to be friends. He wants to listen. He wants to talk.

* Six writer friends who pull me from despondency simply by sitting around being goofy and creative. And an ink-smudged salute to Annie, for being there, and being Annie.

* Us. The U.S. of A. We consider for our leader a strangely named black guy, an geezerly military jock, a screechy white woman and a Baptist rock & roll preacher. Are we cool or what?

* Coblentz chocolate covered pretzels. Makes 3pm almost fun.

* Lunar glory. It goes in circles reflecting light, and always manages to look amazing. And intriguing, like it's hiding something. Oh yeah, its back side.

* Gratitude. It turns your face to the sun.


His charcoal down to a pebble, he rolls the scroll and tucks it away. He turns to confront the horde, only to realize, the lot of them fled.

2 comments:

RoverHaus said...

Mark,

I love being thankful with you. Every time I read your Jueves Cracias, I find myself thankful for the exact same things.

Gratitude...it rubs off on others.

Thanks for being grateful!

whimsicalfaery said...

Since me being me is what you are grateful for, I can't take any credit. I didn't have a whole lot to do with it. :)

I am grateful for dreams. And then I am grateful for people who push me to take them out of foggy obscurity, bring them into the light, and give them surfaces and edges. That would be you guys.