Thursday, July 24, 2008

Breakfast Bribery*



*or - How to crack your son's shell without getting egg on your face.


To my half-asleep son on a late morning -

"Hey Caleb, I'm making scrambled eggs with feta cheese, do you want some?" He loves feta cheese.

He rolls over, one eye half open. "Um sure, if you don't mind."

Does he know or care that my part of breakfast was already over? No.

Does he like that I sit and drink coffee and talk while he enjoys breakfast? Yes.

And that's the really cool part. We do get to talk. Cuz like many guys, my son has his Rambo times, when communication is in grunts.

But if you don't pigeonhole him, you can gently crack the shell and discover all the wonderful things inside. Like a feta cheesy sense of humor. I wonder where he got that.


A bribe is a charm to the one who gives it; wherever he turns, he succeeds. Proverbs 17:8

1 comment:

RoverHaus said...

grunt grunt...grunt

(translated into non Rambo--thanks for the reminder to love others in the way they need to be loved instead of insisting they receive love in the way we want to give it. Good entry!)