Thursday, November 26, 2009

Facebook Thanksgiving

Today was my first ever Facebook Thanksgiving. Is that a good thing? Is that a bad thing?

"It's a family Thanksgiving dinner. I'm not taking my laptop." That was my bold declaration at 11ish as we left the house with our collection of foodstuffs for the two get-togethers we had planned.

Heh.

At the stuffing ceremony that afternoon, we discovered my new camera takes videos too. (who knew?) So we recorded a holiday greeting for an absent nephew (stateside) and an absent niece (an ocean away.) Of course, this had to be posted on Facebook immediately.

And the floodgates opened. It seems laptops run in gangs. Or they like to gather on Thanksgiving like other families. Within an hour I was staring at maybe half a dozen Dell, HP, and Asus logos perched smugly on their owners' laps. A little crowd hovered around the first person to pull up the just-posted video of the dinner we had just engorged, I mean enjoyed.

Not that it ruined our family time. Half an hour later the dining room table was crowded with a card-playing group. The guitars came out later for some home-cooked music. And before the day is over, family from hours or days away gets a glimpse into our day.

No, it wasn't a Facebook Thanksgiving. It was a family day with a new wrinkle in our rhythm, a wrinkle that served to expand the borders of our family along with our waistlines.
.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Interesting that you had the strength and fortitude to leave your laptop home. I'm proud of you! Me...umm...not so proud. I took it with with knowing full well my mom doesn't even have internet. Just in case i got stranded but could find a single.

**sigh**

Yes...it is an addiction.

Ew....my WV is moldok. Ick.

Sandi said...

I love it - you described our day so well! It was a new wrinkle but the day was wonderful :)

jo said...

computers - the alien members of the family? and who are we to discriminate?? so many ways to communicate & it's all good!!

Anonymous said...

You, my Dear are a talented writer
You should do it for a living

My laptop never cools off, except when I go to my parents , as they also have no Internet connection in the boonies.



From
~SomeBody~